/g/ - Technology

Learn2Code is a cliche in 2020

Only go into coding if you want to deal with this shit:

>There are multiple anecdotes about current and former top tier engineers at particular companies who claim that the interview process has gotten so hard that they would never pass the bar if they were to go through the process now. I watched one talk that had a great story. At one particular ‘top’ tech company the process is that when a candidate goes through an interview he or she has a packet compiled about their interview performance. The packet then goes to a committee whose job it is to impartially review the packet to make a hiring decision. At one point a particular committee got so critical that they rejected every packet for several months. When HR caught wind of this they decided to set up a test. They sent the committee a new round of packets and once again the committee rejected them all. HR then called them all into a meeting and explained that they packets they had just reviewed were in fact the hiring committee member’s own packets from when they interviewed for that company. They had unknowingly rejected themselves! How could anyone pass that bar?
https://www.jarednelsen.dev/posts/The-horrifically-dystopian-world-of-software-engineering-interviews

Just Lol at this joke of a profession. Just lol at competing with 1.5 billion in this over-satured field. If your only objective is money go become a physician or a dentist.

>but, but I got a STEMcuck job that pays 85k as a cooder after getting a CS degree and coding 3 hours a day from the age of 12

If you started practicing the MCAT from the age of 12, you'd be at John Hopkins right now. If you passed 5 actuarial exams, you'd be an actuary right now.
You realize the reason for this is so they can push for more H1B visas, right? They bitch about not being able to find any domestic candidates so they can write attestations about the inability to fill X position at Y bullshit salary.
>>1239305(OP)
Techies here seem like the most arrogant, unlikable, self-important chuds on the planet. I'm rather enjoying them slowly realize that they aren't indispensable or irreplaceable.
>>1239305(OP)
pic related is a story of a CS graduate that owes a staffing agency 30k because the bank laid off the team a month before his 2 year contract ended.

The role had a base yearly salary of 30k.

Just LOL

https://outline.com/fNrKRp
>According to the submissions to the Ontario labour board, Guzman-Diaz and the other workers hired by FDM were paid a base salary of $30,000 in their first year, plus a $40 “bonus” for each day worked. Guzman-Diaz said a colleague at RBC once showed him the rate FDM charged the bank: $70 an hour per temporary worker, or roughly $130,000 annually.
>The 30,000 dollars is for the 6 weeks of "training" the company provides which amounts to really simple stuff like working with spreadsheets and SQL.
>Employees received training from FDM Group and were paid minimum wage during that period, the submissions to the board say. Computer science graduate Guzman-Diaz said the training — which included tutorials on how to use spreadsheets — “wasn’t really beneficial.”
>“The stuff they taught there was really preliminary,” he said. “It was just, ‘I have to be here.’”
>>1239305(OP)
Current CS graduate student here, fuck this industry. The interview process is an absolute dumpster fire. Even basic web dev onions shops are asking Google-esque algorithm questions in their interviews.
>>1239305(OP)
Well my CS + Math BS is collecting dust. Only been programming since 1999 but have "no experience". ASD is hell. Had one job in Seattle but couldn't hold on due to (((housing costs))) Wasting my time on various grad programs since. Picked up alcoholism. Yay
>>1239305(OP)
>Only go into coding if you want to deal with this shit:

I was looking at going to college for CS after high school. Back around a decade ago. Even then the H1B cliche was big. Decided against that. Got a job in the oil industry, made a ton of money for many years.

However, now the oil industry collapsed and I'm unemployable. I haven't worked in a year and half. The issue is... there aren't enough jobs ANYWHERE that pay above the poverty line.

The US economy is screwed, absolutely screwed. The "purple squirrel" syndrome isn't limited to the tech industry. If you don't have five years restaurant experience and are willing to work for $8/hr, you're not getting a fucking dishwashing job.

The only people getting jobs are nepotism or liars. Fuck incompetent HR departments. FUCK HR DEPARTMENTS. MUH DIVERSITY. This country is fucked up and we're about to get ass raped by ching chong china for it.
>>1239305(OP)
If you are not slightly autistic, very intelligent, and doggedly persistent, do not go into programming.
It's not magical work. It's more akin to joinery carpentry using only hand tools. It takes a certain kind of mind to 1) do it, and 2) enjoy it enough to not go insane.
That said, if you have two or three things at which you are pretty good at, and you can find an area where these things overlap, you can possibly find a niche where you can apply programming skills to create an application or service that is not using technology to streamline. This is very valuable, and worthwhile to pursue. You will not be the next Fuckerberg or Sergei, but you may be able to carve out a good living.
Trying to work for FAGMAN is a fools errand, and you will not enjoy it.
Tech fields are all shit because the government allowed businesses to declare those positions as exempt. It’s been a race to the bottom ever since.
>>1239305(OP)
>If your only objective is money go become a physician or a dentist.
B-but, Anon, what about the passion and satisfaction of stringing gibberish together on overtime in a dark office??
>>1239305(OP)
>>There are multiple anecdotes about current and former top tier engineers at particular companies who claim that the interview process has gotten so hard that they would never pass the bar if they were to go through the process now.

Its designed that way so they have an excuse not to hire someone and can’t be sued for “discrimination”.

Since no one is “qualified” they get to pick whomever they want.

Also demoralization thread
>>1239305(OP)
I made 400k on last year's W-2 because I can code
>>1239305(OP)
Coding will soon be a 15$/hr job. There is no escape hatch for the White middle class, aside from the top 10-20% or so.
>>1239305(OP)
Ok learned to code faggot. Now what?
>>1239305(OP)
Stop making excuses for not knowing how to do things. If you don’t know how code in 2020 already, and you don’t want to learn either, that’s fine. But you better have a damn fine resume of practical skills. The right needs more highly competent individuals who are able to create, manage, and maintain things. Without that, it gets left in the hands of leftists and minorities. And then they’re the ones who get to dictate the direction society moves. This is more than just you and your comfortable life. Understand how technology works or be subjugated by it. Too many under 30 whites guys only skill is playing video games.
>>1239305(OP)
coding in itself is a cliche. Coding is a tool to do more advanced things. If all you know is how to code you aren't that special.

t. engineer in hardware cryptography
Why the fuck can't c++ have one of those practice simulated environments? Just about every other language has it.
great thread OP, thanks for posting it for the hundreth time

you’re a SAGE
>>1239305(OP)
The problem with the “learn to code solution” for all the people unemployed from automation is the simple fact that many workers aren’t intelligent enough to make a career in programming. We need a more comprehensive solution. So far, UBI seems to be the best.
>>1239305(OP)
Daily reminder - STEM education s a myth. You need at least a minor in a subject like economics or business to get a decent STEM job.
>>1239305(OP)
Don't learn to code! There are way to many junior level coders. I am a director of a technology center and hire Tech people all the time. Get into Tech but not programming (unless you are a super nerd and love it.) I make way more money being in tech than all of my highschool buddies do now. But I am so glad I didn't become a programmer! Those guys have shitty jobs and are very unhealthy. Get into IT, build servers, start a tech company. There are so many facets of tech that you can get into without programming.
Accounting isn't as lucrative for the effort and medicine is interesting but I hate dealing with people and politics which have saturated the medical field. So computers it is. Also stop trying to work at FAAG companies and you'll find a job
Why the fuck would they make you jump through that many hoops just to piss code?
>>1239305(OP)
The cliche was used to troll unemployed (((journalists))) who used to say it to unemployed miners.
>>1239305(OP)
>Learn2Code is a cliche

Yes, it's actually worse than a cliche at this point. If you are learning to code, you should also be asking yourself why. I work in a public school (not a teacher but IT) and I will tell you that coding is taught on a level that surpasses foreign languages. 6-12th graders learn web development, robotics, software coding, logic and flowcharting, etc. I actually changed my major in 2003 while in college because I saw the writing on the wall. Just like web dev around that time, coding is getting easier due to advanced compilers, templates, AI and the ability to copy/paste code snippets from the web. STEM initiatives push worthless comp sci degrees and vague coding and programming tracks. Unless you have an absolute passion, interest, willing to always be learning something new and most importantly be very good and competitive, forget it. Coders are dime a dozen and freelance coders in Asia and Easter Europe are only an email away. My brother's wive went to school for graphic design, same thing. We told her to switch majors and now she gets laid off left and right after she pumps out some new cute logos and some generic advertisements. Then the secretary edits the text or prices using Photoshop because she watched a few YouTube videos. Same idea here, tech progress outmodes and cheapens tech moving forward. Its the nature of the beast.
You posted this thread yesterday but in favor of learning “coding.”

What happened, Pajeet?
>>1239305(OP)
Coding should be viewed as a skill, not a profession. Learn something else useful and add coding on top.
CS major here you act like its impossible for software developers to respec. CS majors are the best mathematicians out of all the stem majors and we have actual technical skills other than excel
>>1239305(OP)
Go into data science, fuck code monkey jobs. Or if you are smarter, go into ML modeling.
>>1239305(OP)
Technology changes way too fast. Tech degrees and certs become irrelevant even two years later. A lot of these positions are mad junkie because half your job revolves around learning shit for next year's certs. Typically you don't even get paid for your time spent researching and preparing for your next certs too, if you are lucky your company will pay for your cert exams but that's about it. Oh and did i mention most of these cert exams run 500 - 1k? Yeah don't forget you probably need 4 or more of these fuckers each year depending on your position and field. Preparing for each cert exam is roughly the same as a full college course by the way. Tech jobs are cool but actually working them is some real junkie shit.
Idk about you man I'm having a decent time learning to code

I'll deal with whatever issues that come with it when the time comes to deal with them

And if it's really bad, nothing stops me from heading down to a tech school to learn a trade
Just shooting my shot, no big deal. Gotta take a chance every now and then

Also this is a demoralization thread lol fuck you
>>1239305(OP)
What a bunch of modern age wage slave faggots, being goat farmer(fucker) ain't bad now eh?
>>1239305(OP)
1 engineer is worth 1000 human resources scum
>>1239305(OP)
I take it you're not aware that there's a fuck ton of tech and coding jobs that aren't at "top" tech companies? Despite the cliche that Indians are taking all the coding jobs for $1/hour, there's still a massive amount of coding jobs in the U.S. that are filled by Americans. There's more coding jobs than there are coders. I don't know how it is up in leaf land but your overall sentiment is completely off unless you plan to get a job at only the top of the top companies... and a lot of them hire based on nepotism anyways. For everyone else, there's plenty of ordinary tech jobs. I'm not a mega millionaire and I don't have the perks I'd get if I worked at Google but I do more than fine... my typical work week is 10 hours of actual coding and the rest of the time fucking around online.

Are you upset that you're too stupid or perhaps just too stubborn to learn coding and get a decent coding job or what? Are you just extremely uninformed?
>>1239305(OP)
My father is the owner of a big tech company and I've always been able to code from a young age.

However it's bad for my health and I became a mouthbreather and developed various other issues from sitting at the computer all day and night.

So now I stay away from it even though I'm naturally very talented and don't code anything. I just try to work outside doing hard labor jobs that bring health back to my body.
How many times are you going to make the same thread Chang? We get it, you flunked out of your CS degree. Tough luck, pursue something else.

Sage
>>1239305(OP)
I really wish you fags would stop drawing attention to programming every day.
This is how you drive up interest and the number of new job applicants resulting in everyone already working with it losing more and more labor value.
Although like has already been discussed in this thread you're already under attack by H1B visas, offshore consultant companies, and the retarded trend towards "code-free" drag and drop frameworks as a substitute for executives or managers having to think about anything.
I feel like cancer is growing inside me every time I see another one of these threads. I love programming and hate how it's the #1 choice now for everyone to try to start competing against you for a career. I just want to tend to my autistic program writing in peace, baka.
You never get ahead going with the flow. Stocks, career choices, education, etc. Be the rare gem that did the opposite of what everyone else is doing and you will almost certainly be in demand.
>>1239305(OP)
Thank you for doing god's work OP. The less people entering the field the higher my salary will go.
You are better off learning logic, reasoning and develop some abstract thought before learning coding. Otherwise you will be just another code monkey.
You're talking about places like Portand where it's one narcissist versus the other. Major cities aren't real.
>>1239305(OP)
>Given an array nums containing n + 1 integers where each integer is between 1 and n (inclusive), prove that at least one duplicate number must exist.

>I had a small heart attack.

Dude is an idiot. Thats his problem.
>>1239305(OP)
Damn, and I wanted to go CS for my second degree. Guess I'll stick to Environmental Science at the Yucatan
>>1239305(OP)
>John Hopkins
My old room mate actually got into Johns Hopkins then he discovered computer games and dropped out and went into IT/programming. He's doing fine anyway.
>>1239305(OP)
>There are multiple anecdotes about current and former top tier engineers at particular companies who claim that the interview process has gotten so hard that they would never pass the bar if they were to go through the process now
Can confirm, ex-googler here. when I left half our team was already H1-B (and way, way less qualified than we were). The interview process is designed to weed out Americans so they can import cheap foreign labor under the guise that there arent enough qualified engineers.
Most jobs aren't at top companies and pajeets are shit.
>>1239305(OP)
Fell for it too. Cs degree, graduated this year. Internships, good grades, projects. Have applied to hundreds of jobs so far, along with my classmates. No one has gotten shit except someone who's uncle worked for the company.
>>1239305(OP)
After submitting my resume/CL/portfolio I had a 2 hour behavioral interview followed by a 2 hour coding exam + 1 hour blackboard which I passed easily followed by a THIRD fucking interview for a job that paid $45k. It's fucking brutal bros. I didn't get it. I quit life. I'm going to just pick things up and put them down for the rest of my life.

Like jogger I made $45k during college driving a forklift why can't I get a fucking coding job that I'm qualified for that actually pays $20/HR or more? Why did I even go to school?
>>1239305(OP)
have CS degree, getting masters
full time employment
six figure salary
remote work
I don't see what the issue is? am I just lucky or is it really this bad now?
>techies are loathsome
agree here
>>1239305(OP)
>go become a physician
>looks at our starting salaries for physicians
>laugh a bit
>then realized how fucked EVERYONE is
don't bother unless you're going to be a surgeon. we hire some physicians at under 150k.
It's pretty simple. Don't try and get a job at one of the big tech companies. Regional companies often times don't even do technical interviews. They only do behavioral and then teach you any coding you need to know.
>>1239305(OP)
It's such a shitty way of living if you want to be in FAANGs. You have to study to get your degree, then study for interviews and then you are constantly being monitored. Not only they monitor your performance, but if your values do not align with theirs (not being a leftist) you get fired for some stupid reason. All for what? Only masochists would be willing to do that for such a shitty pay in comparison to other professions.
NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB NOT EVERY JOB IS A CODING JOB
I'm interviewing with Google and their freaking interview is 6 hours long. They're notoriously hard. I really hope I nail it and make $100k more than what my current 6 figure salary is.
>>1239305(OP)
Well fuck my life literally just graduated this summer. Probably should just kill myself.
Have not gotten a response from anybody for beginner software engineering jobs, dev jobs, or any other shit. My gpa is not the best but its above a 3.0. Have more than 15+ out of school projects under my belt where I only have one I had the balls to put on the app store. Currently trying to make a fucking game that I could eventually post on the app store. But fuck me Im gonna be a wage slave for the rest of my life. What other industries can I even get into with my degree? Do other industries even give a fuck about a CS degree? Is everything I learned point less now? I still got my a small ass family business I can try to expand. I guess its better to wageslave for myself than for someone else. But fuck me life is depressing
>>1239305(OP)
Imagine you're living 100 years ago and you over hear someone saying
>"Reading and writing? Hah, what a cliche. It's just not as profitable as it used to be now that ANYONE can do it. They're teaching it to children in grade school for Christs sake! Better not waste time with that.
Being technologically literate isn't just a cutting edge career anymore. It's the baseline. The standard. Don't be left behind.